Monday, May 11, 2015

Fame, Fashion Shows and Runways

Fashion shows are about designers. The measure of a good event is whether it raises the designer’s profile.  While the designer’s show is on the runway, I want to see his or her brand. A program is nice, for reference, so that I know the lineup and how to contact the designer.

The runway show is something that I have come to appreciate as a great story telling opportunity for the designer. The runway walks up to the photographer’s pit. The model pauses for photos, and then turns to walk back.

I look for the designer’s point of view and vision.  For some seven to 10 minutes, the designer hopes that we remember his or her name, and want to see more and buy the collection to sell.  That is the goal of a fashion show. To be seen, and to be purchased.

The runway show is therefore a performance and an opportunity to communicate the brand and the vision. The runway itself should in my opinion be nothing more than a blank canvas (I prefer white) against which the designer’s vision comes to life both in design and brand.

I attended the Saturday evening show at Saskatchewan Fashion Week on a paid ticket.  I watched the other two nights via Livestream. I also followed the social media feeds. Throughout the entire show, a brief introduction of the designer was given by the emcee and then the models walked out.  There was no logo or brand identification for the designer on the runway, only the SFW logo.

This leaves the viewer in these various channels to wonder whose design was walking the runway.  I feel that this is a lost opportunity for the designers. Fashion shows are about designers, not the event organizers or the event itself.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading "Sky Writing". Your comments are most welcome.
- Lynn Armstrong, Publisher